stats

Thursday 19 September 2013

Lesley Pearse - 3 Book Review

Hey guys

Today I bring you 3 book reviews two of which was on my Summer Reading List and the other one featured in my July Favourites. As they were all by the same author I figured I could just combine them all into one post. Clever right? Let's get started :)

Belle
By Lesley Pearse
2011
624 Pages




Description: Fifteen year-old Belle has lived in Seven Dials all her life. But her innocence is shattered when she witnesses a murder and subsequently snatched by the killer & she is sold into prostitution. Can she make it back to her family and find her chance at happiness?

Review
Storyline: I liked the story, it was sad that Belle witnesses a murder and has her childhood cruelly snatched away from her, and to make matters worse she gets sold into prostitution. But Belle makes the best out of a bad situation & and does all she can to survive and find her way home. There is a lot of detail of prostitution and sex so if you don't like those types of book then skip ahead to the next review :)

Characters: Most of the people that know Belle (friends & family) do all they can to find her and bring her back home. Everyone is full of love for Belle which is sweet and caring. The story jumps back between Belle and her family and how they are coping without Belle. Unique friendships are created and many relationships are lost.

Overall: One of my favourite books of 2013, I was not expecting to like it as much as I did, but I'm really glad I gave it a go.

My Rating: 10/10
Would I recommend?: Without a shadow of a doubt yes.

Father Unknown
Lesley Pearse
2002
409 Pages




Description: When her adoptive mother dies and leaves her daughter a scrapbook of memories, Daisy finally discovers who she is and where she came from. Will she be able to deal with the truth about her real parents and the real Daisy?

Review
Storyline: This book is also set in the olden days like Belle. It did leave me some what confused in the beginning as after a few chapters it jumps back to when Daisy's birth mother was a young child and how she came to be pregnant and why she had to give Daisy up for adoption. But it's not made clear that its jumping back. It's a really good and engaging story with a shocking twist that I honestly did not see coming...Mind Blown!

Characters: A great mix of characters and personalities. They are all unique in different ways. A good look into the time when being pregnant out of wedlock and at a young age was frowned upon and a big no no. 

Overall: Another great story by Lesley Pearse. The story had me hooked & when the twist happened I was hooked even more. Well worth the read.

My Rating: 8/10 just because it was confusing at the beginning.
Would I recommend?: Totally


The Promise
Lesley Pearse
2012
503 Pages




Description: Belle's life is about to change in ways she never imagined possible - when Jimmy enlists in the army her world is shattered and realises she must volunteer to help the wounded. But the past returns to haunt her present in other more unpleasant ways. Can she survive the war with her spirit intact? Will destiny finally lead her to lasting happiness even while war rages on around. This is the follow on book from Belle.

Review
Storyline: Be sure to have tissues on hand because this book will literally have you crying like a baby. The story is extremely well written. The book follows on from Belle and tells the story of what Belle's life became after she got back from Paris. The book has you feeling all sorts of different emotions. It also gives you a inside look at how the soldiers felt and what conditions they were having to fight in.

Characters: Most of the characters from Belle are also in this book along with some new ones. As the book goes along you end up feeling a lot of empathy for some of the characters and at points you're left wishing you could know them and that they existed. Lesley knows how to create the greatest characters.

Overall: A great read. This book left me smiling and in tears. Lesley Pearse can not write a bad story. I enjoyed every page of this book even the sad parts.

My Rating: 10/10
Would I Recommend?: Yes. At this point I recommend them all even though I haven't read them all. But if you loved Belle then you will love this one.

After 6 weeks I have finally finished my Summer Reading List. Phew. I hope you enjoyed these reviews. I shall be posting my Autumn reading list which I can not wait to get stuck into. I will indeed post reviews as I read them. You can find all the ways to contact me in the contact section above :)

Till next time

XOXO
Debbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Well done on finishing your summer reading! Lesley Pearse is one of my favourite authors and her books are so captivating to read. I really enjoyed reading Belle and The Promise. Haven't read Father Unknown yet but after reading your review it is def on my reading list!

I just finished reading Hope which was so good. If you ever want to check out my review of it, it's on my blog anitasbookbag.co.uk

Anita

Unknown said...

Hey
I really enjoyed reading them all, Belle & The Promise have got to be my favourite by Lesley. Belle is such a great character shame she didn't do a full series on her. You should its a great read. I checked your review out and will add it on to my reading list :)

Debbie

Post a Comment