stats

Monday 23 December 2013

The Mortal Instruments: Movie Vs Book Review

Hey friend

I recently watched the new Mortal Instruments film and as it's based on a book I thought I would compare them.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Published: 2009
Pages 448



Description

Review
I only gave this book a go as I knew a film was being produced and wanted to read the book before seeing the film. I really enjoyed this book I didn't think I would, there's nothing special about it, it's your average YA book but still worth the read, it's funny in places and the characters really come to life in the book.

My Rating: 7/10
Would I Recommend?: Yes.

The Mortal Instruments
2013


Description

Review:
If you read my review on Beautiful Creatures then you know that in my opinion most film that are made based on books are normally rubbish and just don't match up to the books with the few exceptions (Harry potter & LOTR) but this film was actually decent. I found some things wrong with it which I am going to list below and there will be spoilers, so if you don't want to know anything then go and watch the film first and then come back and read this :)

1) Some of the characters are not who I pictured - Jace, Valentine, Simon, Bane & Hodge. Without sounding mean Jace is not good looking in the slightest in the book he appears as if he should be good looking.
Valentine - Johnanthon Rhys Meyers just isn't evil enough and far to good looking to be playing him.
Bane - I think he  isn't gay enough in the film. I pictured him to wear bright colours and make up.
Hodge - I pictured Hodge to be wearing some type of robe a bit like Dumbledore instead he wears a suit.
Simon - He doesn't pull off being funny in the slightest.

2) Clary's first encounter with Izzy & Jace was different in the movie then in the book which is a shame as I felt that scene in the book sets the whole story in finding out that Clary is different.

3) They added certain scenes in the movie that were not in the book i.e the fight with Clary's mother, in the book the fight happens before Clary arrives home.

4) I feel that the insistute seemed a bit Harry Potterish i.e the locking door.

5) Certain parts from the second book features in the film like with Clary being able to draw runes.

But despite all that it's a well made film and I did enjoy watching it.

My rating: 6/10
Would I recommend?: Yes.

Overall: I think the book is far better than the movie.

--------------------------------------------

That's it for this review, have you seen the movie? If so what did you think of it. You can let me know in the comments below :)

Till next time

XOXO
Debbie 

No comments:

Post a Comment